The Gift Shop of the American Polish Assistance Association
In order to help finance the shipment of parcels as well as numerous cultural projects in the community, the American Polish Assistance Association operates a unique gift ship at its location in Eastpointe.
In the basement headquarters of the organization, there is an enormous collection of folk art from around the world. With a concentration on Eastern European folk art, and a heavy representation by various Polish artists, the APAA is proud to offer some of the following items as unique gifts and treasured memorabilia from its vintage and antique collection:
* Hand loomed table runners from Lowicz, Poland
* Hand embroidered blouses from Ukraine
* Hand printed shawls from Russia
* Handed beaded vests from Rzeszow, Poland
* Wood carvings from many Eastern European countries
* Wooden plates from Poland, Ukraine and Belarus
* Wooden boxes from various Eastern European mountain cultures
* Boleslawiec Polish Pottery
* Polish Crystal
* Pottery and ceramics from Slovakia and Bulgaria
* Pottery and ceramics from Romania and Hungary
* Iconographic art from Russia and Belarus
* Folklore dolls from Poland
* Russian coral
* Polish books for learning the language
* St. Nicholas coloring books
* Baltic amber
* Silver plated ceramic hand-painted jewelry from Russia
* An unbelievably large collection of antique and vintage dolls from around the world.
* Polish chocolates, filled candies, jams and jellies
* Bulgarian rose oil holders (carved according to folk tradition)
* Wycinanki (paper cut-outs) from Lowicz, Poland
* Real "pisanki" from Poland, Ukraine and Slovakia (Easter egg art)
* Hand crafted Armenian ceramic plates from Jerusalem
* Russian stacking dolls
* Books for learning conversational English
To get a full appreciation of the diversity of the folk art we have, as well as the artistry with which the pieces were created, you have to stop by and spend some time just browsing. Oftentimes, because of the numerous gifts that are being brought for our orphanages, our small space is quite packed and cluttered. Yet, you cannot miss the displays. The art work will catch your eye and your imagination; and in addition, new pieces are constantly being added to the collection to make certain that your first visit to our gift ship will not be your last.
THE HOURS OF THE GIFT SHOP ARE W-TH-F FROM 10 A.M. TO 4 P.M. AND SAT. FROM 9 A.M. - 3 P.M.